Monday, September 24, 2012

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would be teaching high school sex education, but I am! And as always regarding my aiding the youth, I learn much more from them than they do from me (I feel).  I was not initially  planning on teaching, but it just kind of fell into my life like many other awesome gifts I have received from above. This gift, so far, has managed to outshine the others due to its intense nature. I never had a class about sex that was so helpful and true when I was younger. I sat in front of a cranky, overweight, old geezer who rarely took joy in helping me understand or appreciate what I was learning. I tried my best to be the most genuine and honest teacher without freaking them out. I am happy to say, IT WORKED! My students learned so many things about transmission of diseases, sex, and relationships. I wanted the class to be real, so I always asked them to make the situations posed in the class real to them. I often felt bad leaving work because I felt like I was a terrible teacher and none of the students listened or cared about what I was saying. Those times I turned to God and asked some even heavier questions: how could I turn this situation around? I researched and discovered some new techniques, implemented some new games, and created a new voice to reach them. Again, the approach  worked. In essence, I love my students and I will miss them so much, but I must be moving on! On to a new school, new car, and new degree. Today is the first day of Autumn and I feel a true change. Election Day is rolling around, so many birthdays coming, and the holidays. I want to approach these events with positivity, so I will not be looking back to the past anymore! Enough! I simply must move forward. I feel like if I say it enough it will happen. That is my belief for this new season!

No comments:

Post a Comment