Tuesday, June 10, 2014

The Fault in Our Illusions


I must confess, I have never in my 27 years of life been able to go to the movies by myself. I have long associated seeing a movie with people: girlfriend dates, date nights, etc. I guess I missed the memo where I could go to more than a restaurant and grocery store alone. Well, I finally broke my cycle: on June 9th, through much neck pain and back strain, I went to my very first movie solo. I decided if I was going to go for the plunge, I might as well go all the way. I went to see a new release with rave reviews. The adaptation of John Green's book The Fault in Our Stars. 

I had no idea what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. The film, which needs no real plot description, was incredible. Two star crossed, cancer patients going through different paths in life find love in a hopeless place (thanks Rihanna). What is so amazing about the film is that this movie was humorous . It made cancer more livable and gentle. It made cancer more understanding and riveting. Most of all, it made cancer more real. 

No other movie, besides Joseph Gordon Levitt's 50/50,  touched home (cancer wise) like this movie. A young girl who had no intention of connecting with anyone in particular at her cancer support group, found an unlikely soul that shakes her beliefs to the core and changes her life. Powerful performances were given by both young thespians Ms. Shailene Woodley and Ansel Egort. Critics adorned this film with more than favorable reviews and deemed it a "Must See" of 2014. I completely concur. 

After all the unbearable bawling, painfully awesome laughter, and the snot oozing down my nose, I got to thinking, why can't real life, love stories be like movies? Love concurs all, pain is bearable with a friend, and everything works out for the best. I guess that is why I really love the movies. I love the delusions of grandeur I receive when I pay my $7.00 to see a piece of art that touches my spirit. I guess I have never been able to truly enjoy the films when I went on a date night or friend date. I was too busy obsessing over stupid things all while, barely absorbing the beauty of the film. 

I get it now. After 27 years of never going to the movies solo, I have gotten the greatest gift ever from this particular experience in June of 2014. I have accepted the fault in my illusion. A film, no matter how wondrous, is just a film. A small break from the craziness of the reality in our lives, but a truly magnificent film keeps the illusion and perfectness of believing and dreaming real for us dreamers who need hope when things seem hopeless. After all, if you want the rainbow, you must deal with the rain. 


No comments:

Post a Comment