Thursday, November 11, 2010

Haute Asses!


So I am walking through a crowded department store and I see two guys browsing the latest shoes. One guy is wearing a mauve colored, button down cardigan with boot cut JBrand jeans. The other is wearing a Burberry, long sleeved polo with some dirty denim boot cut JBrand jeans on. I immediately assumed them to be a happy, homosexual couple just out and about shopping and enjoying a nice day. Then something truly shocking happened, they were joined by two girls. Both the girls came up and embraced the men, one passionately kissed the guy wearing the Burberry polo. They coupled up and continued to browse. I felt terrible. Terrible because I am automatically assumed both of those men to be gay. Why? Can't two, healthy, viral young men be fashion forward anymore?! Society says no. Whenever a man has a strong sense of fashion or is aware of top designers and hot trends, he must be GAY! No way can a straight man have a keen eye for what is haute without being gay. There has been much speculation on the subject; Trey Songz has a new article written about him weekly regarding his alleged gay lovers, Kanye West is too innovative, stylish, and kooky to be straight, and of course Diddy is too brilliant to not be gay! It is so sad. We have been hypnotized into believing the hype, sadly, so have I! I took a quick glance and made a distinct assumption based on wardrobe and nothing else. I felt ashamed of myself. Men can be fashion forward and not be gay. I have a few friends who live for runways, Vogue magazine, and beautiful Italian leather shoes and they are happily committed to their women. One of those friends is even married! Society places an overly masculine label on all men. Men are supposed to think a certain way, behave a certain way, and even dress a certain way. Anyone who does not conform is "suspect." Is it right? No! Will it change? No! I guess the only thing a person can do, use the famous saying as their personal mantra in everyday life "When you assume, you make an ass out of yourself." And I mostly certainly, made a nice, big, round one out of myself that day. Hopefully, never again!

No comments:

Post a Comment