Friday, December 17, 2010

CHRISTmas


I have noticed that as you age, Christmas's sense of value differs greatly. You go from being in love with gifts, cookies, and trees to shopping for others, trying to score good deals, and planning on how fabulous your New Year's will be. Though the value of Christmas could never be equivalent to a gift, as a child that was all I cared about! Sure we went to church and visited with family, I can honestly say I never appreciated Christmas. It was all about candy canes, dolls, a wish list, good fattening food, and seeing my family. I guess as you get older, Christmas changes for the good. You buy the people you love one really nice gift, put up reasonable decorations, and cook a tasty meal to share with others. To overwhelm Christmas with gifts and other superfluous things truly devalues the meaning. Celebrating the pagan reality of Christ's alleged birth is what Christmas pertains to, not gifts. Gifts should be the last thing on everyone's mind. With that being said, everyone gets a nice, reasonable gift from me, I will be going to church to join in fellowship and celebration of our Christ Lord, and I will take a moment to reflect on how grateful I am for CHRISTmas. Because without CHRISTmas, there surely would be no me! Happy Holidays to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment