Saturday, April 28, 2012

Wishful Thinking

There is nothing quite like waiting impatiently for a movie to come and being blown away by how awesome it truly is when it does! Steve Harvey's Think Like a Man is that movie! Many people have questioned the depth and ability that a predominantly black film can have. I believe that is what I love most about this film. This movie is not a "black film", it is a movie with some black actors and when you can separate race or gender from a source of entertainment, you genuinely get to enjoy the art. The movie is based on the best selling book Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man. In the movie, four gorgeous and successful, young Los Angelenos sift through the entangled mess that relationships can be sometime. One is contemplating making a life altering change in her relationship while the others are praying for Mr. Right. The movie is poignant and brutally honest in how women perceive dating and how men play on those perceptions. The key to staying sane in the crazy world of "lalaland dating" is not to get sucked up into books, movies, or metaphors. Following your heart is the most logical answer to being happy. The women see this towards the end of the film. And while their journey is cleverly accented by side-splitting puns a la Kevin Hart, witty repartee between their male counterparts, and ridiculous moments of personal female clarity, these women never loose track of what they want. I love this fact in particular. One thing I found painfully obvious is the idea that in order to be successful in a relationship one must play a game. It can be a game of cat and mouse, the aggressor, or the pursued but a game is involved nonetheless. As much as I chuckled throughout the film, I could not help, but realize that fact. Well, that might be the single most reason why I will remain single. I refuse to play, participant, or initiate anymore games than I already have. I am convinced out there somewhere in the distant galaxy, there is a man who wants to just be with me; no games, no hide and seek, no winner, just us. That is what I want. And while Steve Harvey does have a best seller on his hands and number one movie in America, the reality is that his accomplishment is a book, not reality for all of us women. I can try to think like a man for as long as humanly possible, but in the end, if things fail, I will hurt like a woman and that is much worse to me. So, until there is a foolproof way of navigating the dating world, I will continue to think like a woman...with an air of caution to "manly behavior." THANKS STEVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment