Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Expect Nothing, Accept Everything

My birthday was yesterday and I enjoyed my special day as much as possible. This highly stressful, last semester of college has not been very kind to me, but I refuse to fall to the wayside. I must be positive and look ahead because the future is very bright. I decided for my birthday celebration I wanted to go roller skating, something I used to do almost weekly as a child during the summers in Louisiana. I was transformed right back Monroe's Skatetown with the tart aroma of stale pizza, rutty looking carpet, and overpriced video games. I put on my skate pants (American Apparel's disco pants) and made several laps around the rink to the latest Hip-Hop jams and classic, oldskool R&B. I was initially afraid as I had been removed from skating for many years, but I quickly got over that. I skated until my heart's delight. The friends who came made it all the more special and I felt truly blessed. Even though my legs are still recovering from my shindig, I can honestly say I had a blast! After we skated the night away, we chatted the morning away. We discussed the ridiculous reactions of many Americans to President Barack Obama's reelection, co-ed friendships, relationships, and crazy jobs, and then I was asked what I learned from being 25. I was hesitant to answer this question because it made me face all the realities of my situation. If someone had asked me 5 years ago where I expected to be at 25 I would have said the following: married, graduated with at least 1 degree, into my career, and completely happy. The contrast of my life now compared to what I wanted it to be is nothing short of remarkable. I am finishing my second degree in December, I live with my family until graduation is over, I am single, and nowhere near getting married and as dramatic as I normally am, I am totally ok with all this. I believe the greatest lesson 25 taught me was not to expect anything. I expected to have all the things mentioned on my list, but that is what happens when people plan, God laughs. God is the head of my life and he is ultimately the one who steers the boat. I have limited and minimal control over what does or does not happen in my life. I am merely taking it all in. At 26 years old, I expect nothing and pray about everything because I know the person who is the center of my life is the one who can get me where I want to be. I need the Lord more than ever now as graduation looms. I have many things I wish to do and after I consult with God, hopefully I get where I want to be, but I will expect nothing and accept everything as a lesson in life. Cheers to 26! 

No comments:

Post a Comment