Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Gobbling Growth

This Thanksgiving was interesting as it was my very first without any meat. I went vegetarian in February of 2012 and I have not looked back! I can honestly say I am happy with my choice. I must admit, sometimes I do miss meat during certain occasions. Whenever my mom makes her famous, hot wings I salivate, the moment my Dad dropped the turkey into the oil to fry it, and the minute I see Wing Stop, lemon pepper wings, I immediately miss meat. The good thing for me is my willpower is strong and always supersedes any silly temptation I may have. I am grateful for that. I also had an especially awesome time this year because my little cousin Paige came to visit! We had an all out blast! We danced, talked, ate tons of food, played classic boardgames like Monopoly, and bonded as first cousins tend to do. For me, it was surreal because I remember the day she was born. My sister Nikki and I waited up all night and barely slept a wink because we knew she would be here any minute....it was exhilarating! My mom's best friend, Mrs. Regina kept us while Milini (Paige's mother) was at the hospital in labor. We found every possible movie to watch in those 18 hours, we played every video game, and asked every question imaginable much to Mrs. Regina's annoyance until she finally arrived. She came out at just under 6 pounds. She was perfect. When we saw her, we fell in love. Nothing has changed much 17 years later. We stayed super close and each day we get closer! We have bonded increasingly as she nears 18, gets ready to depart for college, and grows into a beautiful, young lady. With all the things Paige has been through, she could have come out much worse, but God has protected and loved on her through it all. I am so proud of her. This Thanksgiving may be my first without meat, but it also my first Thanksgiving where I got to see my little cousin Paige for who she really is: a terrific girl! 

No comments:

Post a Comment