Monday, November 5, 2012

May, December, January, November....

An old friend  recently resurfaced in my life and we spoke about many different subjects over the last couple of days.  After days of chatting,  we got stuck pondering the age old question is age really nothing but a number? I guess the reason I am baffled by this question is because most of my boyfriends in the past have been older, even if only by 2 years. 

I have never dated a guy my age. This reality was unintentional because my motto in life is "I like the person, not their age." Well, I have endured a most incredible spiral of thoughts over the last few days as these topic lingers fresh in mind. Can age difference effect a relationship? I decided to poll some respected people in my life. I also created a pros and cons list: 

Age Pros:

  • Most (most being used loosely) older people are wiser and therefore can teach their younger mate more
  • Older people have a wealth of life experiences 
  • Age difference can attract people in a positive way based on life experiences 
  • Most older lovers are more mature 
  • Older people can be more patient and understanding
  • Older people are more financially stable for the most part 
Age Cons
  • Older people often times are set in their ways and refuse to change or bend to their partner
  • Many older people use their age to act as though they are always right solely because they are older
  • Older people can be possessive of younger lovers
  • Older people can be overbearing
  • Most people's parents do not approve of a much older man or woman dating their child
  • The age difference can be stressful especially at certain stages in people's lives
  • Most young people are experimenting while older people have been "there and done that." 
  • Young people can be immature and this could strain the relationship significantly 
  • Cultural and generational differences can overwhelm the relationship. 
My wise and older guy friend told me, "age differences are a trick of the mind. If you do not mind, then it doesn't matter because in the end, people are just people." I have to say that he is right. Realistically, dating is already complicated, so why overwhelm yourself with stress over age? There are plenty of older men and women who are full of energy and want nothing more than to share that with someone who will appreciate it and what is so wrong with that? If a person can overcome all the relationship cons and baggage that they bring, they can surely look to all the positive of that person and love them for who they truly are because in the end, you have to live your life for no one, but you

A wonderful lesson down in my book of "important life lessons." I will be aging a year more in exactly one week and I strive to learn and observe as much as I possibly can. Age truly isn't anything, but a number because in the end, love is all that matters. Love a person with no conditions attached and you will most likely lead a happy life. This information came from the many people I polled and collectively they all said love is all there is. There is not an abundance of love and good people in the world, so when you find someone truly amazing, love them with all your heart no matter what age they are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment