Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Everything Has its Own Scent

I am nearly religious about the phrase "everything has its own scent." One particular scent that I am instantly intoxicated by is that of the library. As soon as I walk in there is pungent aroma of books. Some old, some new, and some classic. I credit my grandmother's for my love affair with library. I remember just about every summer we visited we would go to the local library. We could pick out as many or as little as we liked, but one thing was for certain; WE HAD TO INDULGE OURSELVES! My sister would always pick out something that correlated with her grade level. I on the other hand was a total princess about my selection. I loved anything girly or feminine. I would likely be seen in the fairytale/fantasy fiction section. Yes, maybe not the best content, but the moral of this life lesson is that my grandmas instilled in me the value of community, knowledge, and independence. The independence was prevalent because whenever I needed to find anything, my grandmas would not help me find it. They would make me go seek help on my own or I would work to find them myself. Although, I am happy about it now, as a child I did not always love the library. I do however have immense gratitude and appreciation for the library, something I feel society's children do not value anymore. The library is just a place they meet in a few times a year while in school. To me it is more than that. It is a sanctuary for thoughts, a place to pay homage to all the magnificent storytellers and prophets who told their stories no matter how mundane or redundant they may have seemed. Sadly, the library is no longer a staple in American communities. Thanks to advancing technology, you don't need to leave home. We can read the pages out of books online, go to CliffNotes for summaries, and virtually rule the world from our little computers. There is something nice in knowing that, these institutions will always be there for us when we absolutely need them. Or will they? This vicious repression has put great strain on many of American states funds so, much to the point where there is little left for our libraries. Well, no matter how bad things get I will always choose to patronize the library over any computer. Yes, I love technology like the next person, but before a computer was relevant, your local Library was all the rage. And thanks to my wonderful and wise grannies, they will always be in my heart!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... This is good -- really good, Monsonique. And well off the beaten path, I might add. Thanks for sharing these deep memories and thoughts. Oh... and for inspiring me that much more to write (err, blog) myself.

    Keep it coming!
    -- Bryan Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, Bryan, you overwhelm me! I appreciate you even coming to my blog and leaving some of your words of wisdom. They will be dully noted. Lemme know if you start if you blog, I will definitely be a faithful follower.

    Yours truly,
    Oriel Martin

    ReplyDelete