Monday, July 26, 2010

Food for thought

While I was listening to my girl Samantha James sing the hopefully sweet song that is Angel Love, I remembered something I had been wanting to mention. How does a person know if they are a meat eating vegetarian? I know, I know, the phrase is a little silly in nature but, actually I coined the term from my favorite show Sex and the City. Charlotte, who had been a Episcopalian christian her whole life converted to Judaism in hopes that her very non- conservative, Jewish boyfriend would marry her. They broke up. Her friends naturally assumed she would convert back and return to the singles scene as the "Christian Charlotte" she always was. She vehemently rebuffed their opinions and thus made the bold declaration, "I am not a meat eating vegetarian, I am not a fair weather Jew. I am going to remain in my new faith." Without immediate acknowledgment, I eventually incorporated this colorful expression into my vocabulary and then, it got me to thinking; Am I a meat eating vegetarian? Do I say one thing and secretly do another? Do I stand firm on my beliefs and never waver on my thoughts and opinions? My definition of a meat eating vegetarian is the person who commits beyond cardinal sins such a fraud, money-laundering, and even murder and then they go to Confession, beg forgiveness, and now they are forgiven and well on their way to plotting out their next criminal offense. A little harsh reasoning, I know, but I am very firm in my views of the politics of meat eating vegetarians. So today, I ask the question today, are you a meat eating vegetarian?

2 comments:

  1. my sister, I believe you are growing and that's what matters...not sure any of us know who we are exactly or what we want yet, we just know we want it now...Therefore, let's keep each other lifted up in prayer and be strong in the Lord. He will keep us protected and make sure we are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree more. How did I get such a wise and sophisticated sister? Thank ya Lord!

    ReplyDelete