Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Pray for the Young at Heart

Well, I have some food in my bag. Not the kind of food you eat, some food for thought. So upon discussing a variety of topics with my good friend Sammy, it became very clear to me, this generation of children in the world is missing something. Something that does not come everyday not, even something centuries old but, definitely something. I listen to the music, the Soulja Boy's, Gaga's, and the Kesha's and I weep for them. Not that these artists do not deserve the shine, admiration, or credit but, it's just not real music to me. Sure, an artist can write some lyrics on paper and add a beat, but THAT DOESN'T MAKE IT MUSIC! In my mind, music has a message that is mystical, enchanting, and effervescent. I do not feel that the music of today has any direction at all and yet it has a cult-like following. I ask the simple question, are the modern teenagers of the world being brainwashed to appreciate bullshit music and half-ass lyrics? I believe so. Half the song's sound inaudible, the musicians are all half-naked, and there is always some blatant if not subliminal agenda pushing of sexual innuendos. I will piggy back on what comedian Steve Harvey once said "Today's music is too straight-forward, back in the day, ARTISTS used to romance you, make you feel all tingly inside and then come with the heat now it's a different story. Now it's, "Girl you looks good wantcha back that ass up!" No more turn off the lights, if you're not outright talking about your plans, YOU AIN'T SELLING NO GODDAMN RECORDS!!!" I love him for his honesty, he speaks truthfully. No one is selling artistry, they are selling sex and the world is eating it up by the ton. Now, I would love to sell the fairy story about how I never "drop it like its hot," but I know the difference in the dance and the way you present yourself to the world. I look at some of my young friends and family and I pray that they know the difference between the words in the song and the way they live their lives. I pray that it's not their intention to show themselves full of angst, aggression, and hyper-sexuality. I pray they have enough disciple and general sense of reality to know who they are and not be defined or allow themselves to be so closely associated with these words. The music today does not give them many options beyond highly sexualized, impulsive, and erratic actions and behaviors. For a dose of sexy and sophisticated, I suggest they tune into the smooth, sultry, and equally enchanting sounds of Ms. Anita Baker. Or if you're looking for melodic hip-hop lyrics with some genuine meaning I suggest all of Mr. Common's cds or even a Tribe Called Quest album. You ask a 16 nowadays who a Tribe Called Quest is and you will have this minds totally baffled and lost. But the kids of today would not be so stimulated by these artists, they are far to deep for the shallow ears of today's hypnotized society to appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment